The EFA-VI Campaign is a Campaign supported by the International Council of Education for Visually Impaired Persons (ICEVI) in 9 countries of Africa namely Mali, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mozambique, Rwanda, Malawi and now in Uganda.
ICEVI is an NGO which is based in India and works with Associations of the blind and government in order to ensure sustainability.
EFA-VI's focus is to reduce dropout rate and increase enrolment rate of visually impaired children in primary and secondary schools as well as the tertiary institutions.
The EFA-VI campaign in Africa is based at the African Union of the Blind (AFUB) headquarters in Kenya where the ICEVI, EFA-VI Regional Co-ordinator for Africa sits. In Uganda, this campaign will last for the period between 2013-2016.
Thematic areas of EFAVI.
1) Needs assessment for learners and teachers.
2) Capacity building i.e. combining efforts with other service providers to provide in-service courses for teachers .
3) Networking, which is the core of EFA-VI to form a strong coalition.
4) Provision of learning and teaching materials/scholastic materials.
5) Braille literacy (grade one).
6) Mobility and orientation.
7) General information on disability issues .
8) Methods of teaching Mathematics, science and information and communications technology.
View the Project in Pictures